Thursday, July 15, 2010

Face Boot Camp


I hand out another brochure with a friendly smile and am grateful that my presence is acknowledged. The next few women completely ignore me. I am used to it, these bridal extravaganzas can be brutal. These women are focused. But I repeat myself.

There can be no slowing down, no hello, no smiling. They are on a mission!

Then I see them. I can't look away the entire long aisle as they walk past. They stand out like a sore thumb in this buzzing crowd. This one couple is actually smiling and holding hands. They aren't rushing past, just taking it all in and enjoying being with one another.

In all my years of working bridal show booths I can't remember seeing another couple that looked like that.

Shouldn't you look happy when you are planning to unite your life with your love? Shouldn't smiling and hand holding come easily? The important part of marriage seemed lost...

It made me sad. It made me think.

When is the last time I held hands with my husband? When is the last time I really looked him in the face and smiled at him? Has an important part of our marriage been lost in the buzz of babies and remodeling and homeschooling and work and going and doing?

Not too long ago when he came home from work I was grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't stop smiling. I just loved him and wanted to look into his face and smile. With raised eyebrows he asked me what was wrong with me.

That is what is wrong with me!

If my smiling stands out like a sore thumb and is easily noticed... that is what is wrong with me. But it was catching... he couldn't help smiling back!

So I've enrolled my face in boot camp. I am practicing expressing gratefulness and thankfulness and smiling. It's not as easy as I hoped. I didn't realize how weak my smile muscles were until I had determined to be joyful all day. It only takes a few days without exercising cheerfulness to find it extremely challenging.

But I love this man whose name I bear, whose hand I've had the privilege to hold, whose face I can shamelessly smile into.


"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."~John 15:9-13
I have been prideful enough to think that I could lay down my life for my friends. But can I even smile at my husband, my children, my family, my friends consistently? On busy days? On difficult days? Do I set an example of joy?
I want to do what I see the Father do. He smiles at me. Anytime I am in His presence, He smiles at me. He alone can melt away my business, my focus on lesser things. He smiles at me and it is catching! I want to spread His smile around.
I don't want to miss what is best by being so focused on what is good.
If I have to choose, I will lay the laundry basket down, leave the bed unmade and the trash can full and I will take time to hold hands and smile.







Photo Credits: Brandi Claussen, Texan Weddings

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for this great reminder.
Although I do not have a husband or anything close to it, I can still smile and try to spread the Joy God has given me.
Its not made to be hidden, and yet my face so often does that. So here is me, trying to follow your suit as you follow God's. (Meaning I am following Him). Thanks. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...