Monday, February 15, 2010

Art: An Extension of His Character

"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."
~Genisis 1:26-27

We are His creation. His artwork. We are images. We are made in His "likeness".

We can not possibly encompass all of His glorious greatness and beauty, but, we are reflections of Him.

We are living parts of God's imagination.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
~Psalm 139:16

My four month old baby is a precious reminder of His astounding, never-ending imagination! Not to mention the glories that happen every day in nature, never to be repeated exactly the same again.

I love that we can also share in His joy of creating images.

Two ways that I enjoy this artistic extension of His character are (1) He has allowed me to participate in His artwork by blessing me with the joy of bearing and giving birth to my two beautiful daughters. And (2) I have the pleasure of creating images as my career.

In my particular profession, that being makeup artistry and hairstyling, I think it is very important for people(women especially) to remember this fact:

The images I create are merely reflections of the original artwork, that being the person. I will never create as beautifully as God has. They are a "likeness" of the person, not an exact representation.

Some of my recent endeavors:



Art (after hair/makeup and photoshop):


Un-Retouched Photo (before photoshop):




Art :



Un-Retouched Photo :



Art:





Un-Retouched Photo:





Art is wonderful, beautiful, fun. An extension of God's character. But like all good things that originate with God, Satan can try to twist what is good and beautiful into something ugly, a lie, an idol. With hair, makeup, and photography some people forget that the final product they see is not the original person. Since the end result is often all they see, it is easy to forget the image is artwork, a reflection, not reality.

Real people look like what you look like in the morning when you wake up. Real people have pores, expression lines, uneven skin. And they are REALLY beautiful. It is so important to remember that you are real, live ART. All the time, every day. You are beautiful just the way God made you.

There are many responses to makeup artistry. Two common ones are either to wish you were the art, or to wish it away completely.

To wish that you were the art is a misunderstanding of how beautifully God has made you.

To wish away the art completely is a misunderstanding of the creative characteristic of God Himself that He has put in us.

It is easy to miss the good, the reflection of God, in each situation.


Let us appreciate...

Art(after hair/makeup/photoshop):






And...ART:




I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...