Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Temple Tuesdays: Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream


I have a serious sweet tooth. A lot of them, actually.

But several years ago my mother posted on the refrigerator: Sugar causes insulin spikes which causes the body to store fat.

To be honest, that did not often deter me from my dessert, but it did begin to scratch at the back of my mind like fingernails down a chalk board after I had my second daughter and the pounds didn't drop off as quickly as I would have liked.

And I sincerely want to honor God with my body, and be as healthy and fit for His service as long as He lets me live on this earth.

Avoiding fatigue and "brain fog" caused by sugar is just another bonus!

But never eating a sweet treat seemed nearly impossible since there is nearly always some sort of sugar in the house.

I needed alternate options!!

"Temple Tuesdays" is designed to share some of the healthy sweet treat recipes that are tried, tested, and loved by my whole family(and there are a lot of us!).

I can't think of a time when I have ever not been in the mood for ice cream. I love it! It probably has something to do with the fact that it is steaming hot here(SouthEast Texas) about 10 months of out the year.

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream:

4 cups Raw Milk (there are so many reasons why raw milk from grass fed cows is the healthiest, I wouldn't use this recipe without raw milk!)
1 Can Organic Coconut Milk (13.5 fl oz)

1/2 Cup Organic Maple Syrup

1/4 teaspoon Organic Vanilla Extract

1/4 cup Natural Unsweetened Cocoa

2 egg yolks from Organic Eggs from the Farmer's Market (yes, the egg yolk is raw. This is an optional step, but one I consider to be very healthy. HOWEVER, I would NOT use raw eggs from the store, not even organic ones: click here to read why)





Directions: Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The cocoa will separate out a little, but it blends in the ice cream mixer.


Pour Mixture into Ice Cream Mixer. We use a Rival Ice Cream Mixer. Let it mix for 20-30 minutes, depending on desired firmness of ice cream(we rarely make it past 20 min).


Done!
Remove top to see the creamy goodness


Yum!

Serve immediately for happy mouths and healthy bodies! I will share our recipe for brownies next week!




1 comment:

Chelsey said...

That information about organic, store bought eggs is very interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...