Friday, September 28, 2012

A Bigger Struggle than I Expected

I've been blogging for Compassion International this month, and the assignment for this week made me hit an unexpected internal wall.

I was asked to write a letter ...

"... as if you are a sponsored child. 



God told us to become like little children. Remember? This assignment is about aligning with the heart of children in poverty.

Write a poem about the sights, sounds and smells of poverty or write a letter to your sponsor, of 13 years or 13 minutes.

Write about your feelings, fears, hopes and dreams, or imagine you've switched places with your sponsored child and write about the shock, stress and adjustments you have to make. 

You are a child living in extreme poverty. What do you have to say?"


I really can't understand what's it's like to walk in their shoes... or bare feet.

The wall this assignment slammed against in me is pride. 

I don't like asking for help. I like being the helper.

It's like my two year old says every time she refuses my help "I can do it all. my. own. self!"

But I really can't. I don't.


A "crisis" for me is if the electricity goes out, or if our water is cut off. Not only is that uncomfortable, but I can't cook or clean and evening hours of productivity would come a lot earlier. Living without these things is normal life for them. 

I bake from scratch... but my flour is already grown, harvested, ground and neatly sifted for me.

I get my chicken's whole from the farmer's market... but they're already de-feathered and all that good stuff.


I truly can't imagine having to grow or hunt all our food, or even a decent portion of it. I can't imagine  my growling stomach grinding down my pride until I would beg for a meal or eat scraps from the trash.

I get my filtered water right at the sink... no long walks, no aching back from carrying as much as I possibly can.


My "fears" are about not doing everything the best way as a homeschooling mom... not that my children won't ever get an education.

Or I "fear" not setting good eating habits for my kids... not that they will cry themselves to sleep from hunger.

And while I may smell some nasty things during my days that could singe off your nose hairs... I can also fold it up in a sanitary disposable diaper and chunk it in the trash. I don't live in it.




So instead of trying to write a letter as if I were a child in extreme poverty... I would like to share with you some things my sponsored children have written to me in letters over the years...

Dear Elise,

I am very happy to write a letter for you. I am proud of you...
I have learned that God loves me...
I have learnt how to draw pictures, count numbers and read...
I love singing my favorite song is "In Jesus' name we are one family"...
My favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11-13...
I love to see big big trees in the jungles near my villages...
Yes in our village we have one ring well it is very deep from the well we use to pull out water by a bucket tied with a long rope... Our project re-opened and I use to go in the evening we fetch water from ring well...
I want to see your garden. Squash and bean plants. But I don't have a garden...
I have no plans for this summer. I take a bath to stay cool. Here, there's no river to swim. My Mum and Dad are busy in the paddy field... my parents are working at field everyday...
I am going to class regularly, I learn many memory verses, and songs I want to learn more and more coming day...
When I grow up I would like to become a pilot...
Last month I appeared 1st unit test and I did well...
I have two older brother and three younger brother. They are very dear to me...
I also love to take care of my brother but I don't have time to play with them. Early morning I go to school and from school I go to my project till sunset...
In my last year examination I got second in my class...
I am grateful to God for the wonderful things He has done for me and my family...
I request that you pray for me that God's provision and protection may be with me...
Please pray for me so that I can learn things more and more...
My prayer request are that I would pass well...
I need your prayer for my family's member...
Please pray for me...
One day, I would like to meet you...

I always pray for you all.

Yours Lovingly,
Your Sponsored Children



Sponsoring children continues to change me. It affects the way I pray. It impacts the way I shop. It humbles me. It convicts me.

This is a beautiful video about the importance of writing to the children.


This one too...




Sponsoring children blesses me. I can't describe how much. 


How has your experience of sponsoring children blessed you? Please share your joy in the comments today! 







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...