Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The One Resolution that Might Really Change Everything

It may take me actually sticking to the floor with that scratchy, crackling, suction sound before I make time to mop it.

I may finish off the mounds of Christmas chocolates through distracted, anxious eating as I try not to submit to defeat as a failure of a homeschooling mom before the spring semester even begins.

The couch is somewhere under the laundry. At least it's clean. The laundry, I mean. The couch has some chocolate smears I've been meaning to scrub away.

I have countless lists of ways I need to improve, things I hope to get done, and ways of serving others I'd love to make time for.

But just one. One.

I'm only making one resolution for this year.

Because if I stick with it... I'm confident it will change everything.



All my priorities, my time management, my stress levels, my sleep habits, my anger issues, the way I talk to my husband, the way I see my children, the way I think about the present, the way I feel about the future.



This is it: Every day I will devote my first free time to still, quiet time to listen to Him.


Every single day. 

Holidays and weekends and work days and busy days and sick days and every day in between.

First free time. 

I wish I could say this would always be before the kids are up and I will definitely plan a regular "quiet time"... but sometimes, like these last few days that they haven't been feeling well, they are up way before the sun and my alarm and any realistic possibility of staying awake during my time with Him.

What this means most to me is that I won't check email or facebook or phone messages or ANYTHING until I've read His word. If I have time to read an email, I have time to read a few verses.

Somedays, I will probably have to be up very early for work. If I can plan to go to bed early to get up for work, I can go to bed that much earlier to have time for Him.

I will still and quiet to listen to Him.   

I like to talk. A lot. So, praying comes relatively naturally. The kids love music, so praise and worship in this way is also relatively easy to do daily. But it is absorbing His words to learn the sound of His heartbeat and mind and Spirit that I need to work on.

So that's it. That's my goal.

Because all those other good things I want? Those things I really hope to learn and do and achieve?

They aren't needed.

And they won't last.

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed.f Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

~Luke 10:38-42

And doesn't He also promise?...

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
~Matthew 6:33




Happy New Year to you all!

You are the kindest friends.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...