Wednesday, September 1, 2010

If Your Day is on a Crash Course

I barely reach her in time. Just enough to slip my hand in between her sweet, soft face and the unforgiving door frame.

She hits the cushion of my fingers and falls thump to the floor. This unpleasant seating results in a frustrated slew of baby-complaining. At me.

"Well! You've gotta watch where you're going, baby!"
I smile at her angry baby language. She is trying to communicate. And at this point, she relates everything that happens to her as a direct result of my actions. I help her stand up. I actually helped you though you don't know it...

She had been watching Sister over her shoulder, oblivious to the approaching collision.

His Spirit whispers.

Is this why my day seems to keep wrecking? Do I keep looking backwards over my shoulder?

All the should have and shouldn't have moments of yesterday and the time not spent well today are crowded in my mind. They push the days activities out of place, along with my perspective, and leave me feeling stranded in a mine field.

And do I complain at Him about it?

"A man's own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the LORD."
~Proverbs 19:3

I sigh. It's way too easy to stop talking to You, and start complaining at You, Lord.
And truly, how many times have You kept me from really knocking my head against the wall?

I have to watch where I am walking to walk well, safely, to get where He wants me to go. I have to stop looking over my shoulder, or trying to lean over too far to see what's around the corner.

Now is what You've called me to live well. This moment.

Frustrated baby that I am, I cry out to Him and He smiles at my disgruntled face, and kisses my throbbing head, seeing the reality of my lowly estate. He helps me stand. Always helps me stand.

"The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry... the righteous cry out and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
~from Psalm 34






1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you for this Elise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...